Urogynecology Community
Same bad smell in urine and stool.

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Same bad smell in urine and stool.

For over a year now, I have had a change in smell of my urine and my stool. The smell changes from time to time, but they both smell the same, and it's always bad. Sometimes it smells like sulphur, sometimes it smells really really rotten, every so often it doesn't smell, but mostly it does. I also have the same smell on the skin around my vagina. I am currently 8 months pregnant, but 6 months before I became pregnant, I had a miscarriage. It has been since the miscarriage that the smell started. Also before I became pregnant, my menstrual blood had a change in smell as well. I went to the Doctor who was going to give me some tests, but I found out I was pregnant before I could do the tests. I have just been waiting to have the baby before I go back to the doctor to try to get to the bottom of this. The smells are terrible, and I am desperate. I'm thinking something hormonal or bacteria related but so desperate for an answer. Please help!
One cause of sulphur smell in waste can be from nitrites being produced by bacteria in your system; you don't have to have an infection from the bacteria (although if you have the smell in both feces and urine, it sure sounds systemic) but sometimes physicians will give a course of antibiotics to treat. It is extremely important that you drink enough water to flush your system. If you are on sulfa drugs that could cause it too but I assume that is not the case since you are pregnant. Were you treated for any infection after you had the miscarriage? I would ask your pharmacist as well, if there are any medications you are on that can cause this sulpha smell, they may be able to pinpoint. (Maybe something in your prenatal vitamin??)

Good luck, I hope you find the answer!
Sher
Hi Sherrie, and thanks for your quick response. I will definetely try drinking lots more water and see if that helps. I am not on any kind of drugs nor have I ever been, and the bad smells started happening before I went on my prenatal vitamin. I was not treated for any infection after my miscarriage, although I was 'cleaned out' with a d&c. I was thinking for a long time that it was hormonal in nature, and that's why I didn't bother discussing it with my doctor again after I became pregnant, because I figured there would be nothing that could be done about it until after the pregnancy anyway. But, now I am thinking that it might be bacterial in nature. I certainly hope it can't harm the baby.
Anyway, thanks again for your help.