Urogynecology Expert Forum
Sebaceous Cyst?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Sebaceous Cyst?

24 year old male here. About a year and a half ago I noticed a strange bump on the shaft of my penis. It did not hurt and you could only notice it while my penis was erect. I assumed it would go away on its own and after a couple months it did not go away. I tried to pop it and was unsuccessful. I did some research and the closest thing I found was the possibility of a sebaceous cyst. The only thing is that most cases of these cysts seem to have a general similarity of looking round and resembling a BB. Mine was not round whatsoever. It was shaped almost like a Y and was probably about the size of a grain of rice.  I made an appointment with my GP and she examined it and was not sure and she said it did not look STD related however she did recommend me to see a Urologist. I saw this doctor a few weeks later and he examined the bump. I suggested that maybe it was a cyst and he said that it was a possibility. He was unsure of what it was and said it didn't look like an STD but that if I wanted it removed I could have a biopsy done to find out what it was. I opted for the biopsy and was in and out of the office the next day. I got a call a few weeks later and he said that it was definitely not a wart or anything and that it just looked like it was a cyst. Now about 6 months later i had another very similar bump on a different spot on the shaft of my penis. This time it was not shaped like a Y but even more similar to a small grain of rice. I don't remember exactly what I did I think maybe I tried to put a warm compress on it for a day maybe and nothing seemed to happen. Shortly after (maybe a few weeks later) I was examining the pump and it looked almost as if it had to come to a head so I pulled one end of the bump and a solid piece of material came out and it was gone. I recently noticed another similar bump on the bottom of the shaft of my penis. It is only noticeable when my penis is erect and is about the size and shape of a small grain of rice. What do I do?
Please refer your question to the urology forum.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD