Urogynecology Community
Silver Nitrate allergic reactions

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

Silver Nitrate allergic reactions

Has anyone had a "itching" reaction to silver nitrate following treatment after surgery?  I recently had a cystocele, rectocele and mid-urethral sling laparoscopic surgery for Pelvic Organ Prolapse(POP).  I have been doing fine up until my 2 week post op follow-up.  I was treated with a vaginal swab of sliver nitrate to help with the internal healing process.  A few days later I developed a severe itching in my vaginal and rectal areas.  I self diagnosed with benadryll  and vagisil until I could contact my doctor because it occurred over the weekend.  I met with my urogynecologist  the following week and she applauded me for my self diagnosis. She took a urine sample and did a pelvic exam and I continued with my benadryll and vagisil.  I called again this morning because my symptoms remain the same.  Waiting on response from my urogynecologist.   Anyone have similar reactions after a POP surgery.
I found a link to the site that has the product I wanted to tell you about, I'll send you a PM with info.
Sher
Turns out  I was not allergic to silver nitrate.  I had a urinary tract infection (UTI) that was not reacting like a regular UTI.  I had no pain just a itching sensation and my crotch area was red.  I tried the usual vaginal itch creams until I got to my gynencologist.  He said to stop using the vaginal itch creams (I was using vagisil) because it usually made things worst.  He put me on a 3 day antibotic (antibiotic) treatment.   After that I called my urogynecologist and she recommended hydrocortisone cream.  I tried that for 3 days and it did not work.  I called my urogynecologist and she prescribed some Triamcinolone acetonide onitment and Hydroxyzine tablets for the itching which gave me relief, but after a few weeks I had another UTI. I was, also, prescribed estrace vaginal cream, but did not use it because I am a breast cancer survivor and the manufacture recommends against using it because of the estrogen in the product.   After an emergency room visit over the July 4th holiday (all of my doctors were out of town for the holiday) I was put on a 3 day antibotic (antibiotic) treatment again.  I finally went back to my urogynecologist and was put on a 6 month low dose antibotic (antibiotic) with cranberry pills (never knew there were cranberry pills).  Apparently, my bladder was not emptying completely.  She, also, recommended I lean forward a little when urinating to help emply the bladder more.  Things seem to be OK.  We'll see what happens when the 6 months are up in Jan 2012.
Thanks so much for all the detail-this is a classic example of  how diverse all of our personal scenarios are! Great job with continual followup until resolution. The leaning forward tip is a great one to pass on, that may help some women. Keep us in the loop with how things turn out at 6 month exam. Cranberry caps can help many women with UTI if they catch it early, better than juice since there is no added sugar. Thanks much for the tips MCFOR!

Sher