Urogynecology Expert Forum
Stress urinary incontinence and clear vaginal discharge

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I recently started PT for SUI.  Besides SUI, I also have a clear vaginal discharge, no other problems accompanying it.  I kind of think it is due to premenopause as I am 52 but still have monthly cycles.  When this discharge occurs, I get a feeling of something like a bubble slowly popping, then the discharge.  It's a small amount, not near to the amount of urine I lose with stress.  I've tried to associate it with ovulation but really don't think it's the same thing.  It lately has been happening several times a day.  I'm just not 100% whether it is urine and vaginal. Is there any way to be sure what it is and/or what I can do about it?  I will ask this of my gyn at my next visit but that's not for awhile yet.  Thanks you so much.
THere is a test called the 'pyridium pad test', which can be used to test for urine leakage. You wear a white sanitary pad, while taking a medicine which turns the urine orange. It is called phenazopyridine  (pyridium is the brand name in the US). While wearing the pad, you will see orange colored pad stains if the leakage is from the bladder. THe problem is, if you have SUI, you will probably stain the pad because of this. So it may be difficult to tell the difference.  

Alternatively, you could try wearing a tampon in the vagina, as well as a pad over it, and see if the tampon also gets wet, which would suggest a vaginal or uterine discharge.