Urogynecology Expert Forum
Sudden onset urinary frequency and bladder pressure

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I am a 50 yr. old post-menopausal (5+ yrs.) woman having feelings of pressure on my bladder and the need to urinate which never goes away and becomes more acute after urinating. There is no pain or itching.  This began suddenly about 10 days ago after week at beach. I was in water, sitting in wet bathing suit and in heat.

Have had urinalysis, urine culture, pelvic ultrasound of ovaries and bladder - all normal. No blood, no sugar, no protein, etc.  Examinations for yeast and bacerial infections were negative. Was treated for possible urethritis with 3 day dose of Levaquin of 250 mg, then 3 days of 500 mg  Levquin, then switched to doxycline 200 mg a day.  Just started 2nd day of doxycycline and feeling no better - not sure when I would notice anything.  No recent sexual activity.

Gyn thinks it's estrogen deficiency and wants me to start vagifem, but I am questioning the acute onset of this??  Cannot detect any bladder spasms, but am extremely uncomfortable feeling like I always need to urinate.  Notice it is particularly bad when lying down and on either side.  Can only sleep on back.  Some nights it wakes me up every 3 hours, some nights I can make it through the night.  Yesterday, had short period of time in morning and early afternoon where I thought symptoms were better, but then got worse in afternoon and have stayed worse since.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?  Was given prescription for pyridium, but that sounds like it's more for pain and don't want to mask anything as I have urology appt. on Wed.