Urogynecology Expert Forum
Swollen Urethra

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Swollen Urethra
Hello Doctor, I am a female, 31 years old. I only have one sexual partner, my husband. We had sex yesterday and it was a little bit sore (this is not usual for me). Today, I have what seems like a bladder infection, but I am not 100% sure since it is different than usual. My urethra is swollen (I have never had that before). Its very painful when I urinate, it burns (more than past bladder infections). The area around my vagina and also in the entrance is also very sensitive, it looks red and burns. When I urinate or even if clean water comes in contact with it, it burns like crazy. There is a little bit of blood in my urine. I have abdominal pain, but I think it is unrelated, my period started and I think the pain is just from that.  I have the urge to go all the time, but only a few drops come out. My urine stream is also very weak, its hard to urinate. Is all this just UTI? Can I solve the problem by drinking water, cranberry juice and sitrus coda? Or could this be something else more serious? When do I need to see a doctor? I would like to avoid seeing a doctor if possible, cause I am shy... Thanks Doc
This could be a bladder infection, or possibly yeast infection. Get a urine culture done, and also have your gynecologist examine you thoroughly, including cervix, urethra and vagina, including the "wet prep" under the microscope to look for yeast and bugs.

This is not one for the water therapy. See your gynecologist as soon as possible.

Dr. Hoyte
Thanks very much!
A related discussion, Swelling of urethra was started.