Urogynecology Expert Forum
TVT gynecare tape + post op UTI/Bladder Irritation

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Hi I am 8 wks post-op TVH with TVT tape, to repair cyctocele, rectocele, vaginal vault repair and stress incontinence, I've had 3 UTIs since the surgery, more bladder pain than a buring, is this common post -op? And could the TVT tape be the cause of the UTIs? I've read about the mesh complications and it is a real concern, I am concerned I should have been more proactive in saying "no" to a mesh repair.
Sorry to read of your problem.  The TVT sling using non absorbable mesh is a safe and effective treatment for stress urinary incontinence.  The recent publicity about the FDA statement has cause considerable confusion among patients.  While it is possible that your recent UTIs are related to the TVT, It is not a common cause.  Culture Proven UTIs that are recurrent should be evaluated as to the possible etiology and cystoscopy may be helpful to insure the mesh has not penetrated the bladder.  Symptoms like a UTI, primarily  urgency, is often associated with surgery around the urinary bladder and is often self limiting give time.