Urogynecology Expert Forum
UTI, urethra caruncle, vulvadynia help

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

UTI, urethra caruncle, vulvadynia help
I have many of the topics listed but just need help with this. I have a urethral caruncle and urethra inflammation for years and am not able to wipe myself after urinating or I bleed so I do not wipe.  -- toilet paper, unscented baby wipes, etc.  Also can only wash the outside hair area with soap or I burn up for a week.  I do wash after a BM -- I have Crohns disease so I also have to insert vaseline a lot for inflammation in the anus... I get washed before and after.  Do not have normal UTI symptoms - do get grinding feeling and some shooting pains which I tend to attribute to the colon and did not have a UTI in years.  Then found out I had a proteus infection that Keflex 500 did nothing for so I was on 250 Levaquin and culture came back no growth but I think it is back and doc won't do another culture --   Started with 3,000 colonies which the lab does not even do a sensitivity test for and then went to over 100,000.  With my vulvadynia (splits and inflammation constantly) I am afraid it will get in my bloodstream - I have a heart murmur and all I need is endocarditis.  Doc said anything under 100,000 is not considered an infection but have so many abnormalities I am afraid.  How do I prevent UTIs?  I take Culturelle probiotic every day.  Am allergic to all antibiotics except Keflex and Levaquin families.   I get allergic to antibiotics over time so scared about when that will happen with these.  I even bleed from a PAP smear as the gyn has to use a scraper to get cells and am scheduled to have one soon..  If I still have some Proteus left or again can I get a blood infection --  PCP even said the insurance company gave her a warning that I had too many visits so she said I can only come in "sparingly" for anything......I had quite a lot of health problems lately thus the visits.  PCP thi8nks the infection came from the position of the handheld shower on a suction cup as the bursa on my knees swelled up and can't get washed with a cup after a BM anymore.  Thanks.
Sorry to read of your problem.  Not sure how an insurance company is involved in the number of doctor visits unless they think they are unnecessary.  You can get a kidney infection from untreated UTI's.  Symptoms of back pain with fever are often signs.  I would suggest you see your doctor or seek a second opinion with a urologist.