Urogynecology Expert Forum
UTI led to Yeast Infection

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

UTI led to Yeast Infection

I recently had a UTI and was treated with Bactrim. While taking the medication, I developed a yeast infection and my doctor called me in a vaginal insert to treat it. My antibiotics will run out on Thursday morning and I was wondering how long I should wait after completing the antibiotics before using the yeast infection medication- I didn't know if the antibiotics needed to be completely out of my system so it wont counteract with the yeast infection treatment. I want to make sure that the yeast infection goes away!  
I am sorry. I missed most of the questions in this group. YOu can take the antifungal near the end of your antibiotics. I ask my patients to take it on the last day of the antibiotics. You need to know that the yeast medicine kills the yeast right away, but your body (whhich generates the immune response which causes the itching) will take a few days to notice the yeasts have died, so the ictching may last a few days beyond when you take the antifungal.

Dr. Hoyte