Urogynecology Expert Forum
UTI or Parasites?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

UTI or Parasites?
The other morning I woke up with severe UTI symptoms, with no previous symptoms the night before. Throughout the day the symptoms worsened and I began peeing blood and eventually what looked to be blood clots. Right before we decided to go to the doctor I peed on a urinalysis stick and my results came back with very high levels of protein, blood, and ketone. I went to the bathroom one more time and I peed out what looked like a parasite or bug of some kind. There were too, and it was incredibly painful to pee them out. They were connected by a long, thin, clear strand which looked kind of like fishing line, and the small brown circles were evenly spaced on the strand and were covered in what looked like hair or even fur. I went to the ER a little while later and they did a urinalysis and it came back clean; all levels normal. Since I peed out whatever that thing was all the symptoms of the "UTI" have disappeared and I've had no blood, no painful urination, etc. I mentioned to my doctor about the bug-like thing but he didn't believe me. I've also had a rash that looks like ringworm in several places of my body, and I've felt very bloated and have had either diarrhea or I've been constipated for a few days now. Should I worry that there are more parasites in my body (if those were parasites)? Or should I have my doctor perform a more specific urinalysis that may specifically test for parasites?
It is unlikely you had any parasite present in the bladder.  A urinary infection was more likely.  I would suggest you see your doctor and follow his or her advice.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD