Urogynecology Community
UTI resistant to All oral antibiotics

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

UTI resistant to All oral antibiotics

I have been having recurrent UTIs for the past 6 months. Culture results came back resistant to all oral antibiotics and sensitive to IV meds only. Microorganism is E.Coli .
3 weeks ago I had IV infusion of Invanz(ertepenem) for 7 days. I never felt 100% better.
Repeat culture was done about 5 days after IV treatment was done. Results were the same except the number of bacteria was 80,000 from 100,000 the first time.  
I am going for a kidney&bladder sonogram next week.  Dr is suggesting further 14 days of Invanz IV.
I am reluctant to do IV again bc I have a strong fear of needles& foreign objects(IVs) in my arm.
Is it possible to treat such a difficult, antibiotic resistant UTI without IV meds?
Any alternative methods?
Tags: ALL
Hi there

Oh you poor thing !!! Its bad enough having it for a week but 6 months!!! Jesus Christ they really need to get you sorted out .

I don't know of any other way sorry ! If it was me I would go for it.

Have you had a cystoscopy??(telescope in the bladder)
I am due to have one soon for recurrent bladder infections  
Sometimes when women have repeat UTIs, they are the result of pelvic organ prolapse-the organs/tissues are displaced and bladder can not empty completely, result is infection. Read the article below and if symptoms fit, you can do a self-check to see if you have it. Take a hand held mirror and look at your vagina-if there are tissues bulging out, you most likely have POP. All the antibiotics in the world won't fix this, they are just a bandaid. Until the cause is discovered, they will keep coming back so you need to get to real cause.

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Womens-Health/Taking-Pelvic-Organ-Prolapse-Out-of-the-Closet/show/1148?cid=591

Sher
Same path worth checking out for you, if you have repeat UTIs, please do the self check and scope out the article on pelvic organ prolapse to see if symptoms are a fit. Repeat UTIs are a drain on the body and purse!
Sher
Cheers for that will check