Urogynecology Expert Forum
UTI resistant to antibiotic Macrobid?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

UTI resistant to antibiotic Macrobid?

I have had a UTI for over month. My symptoms are frequent urination with on and off mild discomfort in my lower abdomen. I finally went to my Gyn and was diagnosed w/ UTI & yeast infection. He put me Macrobid to take for 7 days. I'm currently on day 5 with still no relief. I'm to go back for a urine culture this Thursday to see what other antibiotic I can take. My question is this common that a antibiotic does not work for UTI? Is it because I've had it so long that makes it resistant? My Dr. said Macrobid works 80% of the time. I hope I can get relief soon because I'm tired of going to the bathroom every 2 hrs!
Some bladder infections can be resistant to different antibiotics. This is the reason for the urine culture and sensitivity testing.  It is also possible that you are having UTI symptoms related to musculoskeletal issues. If the urine culture is negative, this would certainly be a possibility for you to consider. If the culture is positive, please be sure to complete the full antibiotic course as suggested by your doctor. Resistance can sometimes happen if you interrupt your antibiotic therapy prematurely.
It didn't work for me either.
Try D Mannose if the UTI is from E Colli.  You can get it at a health food store.  Also won't give you a yeast infection.  You can google it and read about it.  
Thanks so much! I'll give it a try. I really don't want to mess around with a lot of antibiotics.
The doc is right.  Many symptoms similar to a uti are actually caused by pelvic muscle dysfunction or irritated nerves.   Look up info on IC.  

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/interstitialcystitis/