Urogynecology Community
UTI

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

UTI

I went to the doctor with recent onset pain in pelvic area, frequent urination, and painful urination.  Dipstick urine analysis revealed blood in urine (although not visible).  Prescribed Bactrim - within 3 days symptoms resolved. Now feeling fine.  Doctor called and said culture was negative for infection.  Told Doctor I had my period two days after urine analysis.  Doctor wants me to have CT scan.  Can you have a UTI with a negative culture?
Many things can cause painful and/or frequent urination; it's good that a culture was done to eliminate UTI as a first step. Give you physician as many abnormal symptoms as you recognize (does it come and go with exertion, do you have constipation too, where in pelvic cavity is pain, is it sharp pain or dull ache, deep or at outer edge of urethra. Women with POP often have pelvic pain but this sounds like it may be something else so the more symptoms you can recognize, the easier it will be for your physician to narrow down a diagnosis.

Sometimes UTI tests can be faulty, it is important to let some urine escape b/4 you collect-your sample should be mid-stream.

It is a good idea to eat yogurt or take probiotics while on antibiotics to keep intestinal flora in balance.

Good luck, I hope you find an answer soon.
Sher
Hi there, just wondering if being constipated almost all the time and also having internal hemmorhoids could cause or worsen burning pain that resembles UTI pain.  I have had this pain/burning before and after voiding for almost two months now..waiting on my doctor.  But just wondering in the meantime.  Can hemmorhoids/constipation cause any discomfort or anything in the vaginal area?
Thanks so much. :)
If you are having constipation issues too, I'd like you to read a post I have with pelvic organ prolapse basics to see if that is possibly what is going on. When you first posted with blood in urine it sounded like a bladder issue but now I have to wonder....after you read this post, please send back more detail so I can get a better idea if you have POP issues going on.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Urogynecology/Taking-Pelvic-Organ-Prolapse-Out-of-the-Closet/show/1271553

Sher
Hey Sher,
So basically I have all of those symptoms of POP without the incontinence and i don't use tampons so i don't know if they would be a problem.  I also have chronic constipation, i smoke and i do heavy lifting at work.  This sounds a lot like what i may have.  Would it also cause a burning sensation as well?..It burns around my labia..no cuts or any marks and looks completely normal and no out of the normal discharge.  Would POP also cause that?...my friend is experiencing some burning issues as well...perhaps she has symptoms of POP too.  Your insight would be very helpful.  Thank you!
Any time there is pressure in the vaginal/rectal/labia area, there is a possiblity of burning and/or itching; these sensitive tissues are easily inflammed and they can be further irritated by rubbing against the fabric of our underpants or pants. Women frequently have pressure in these areas with POP. What is your age if I may ask? Often as women enter peri-menopause and the hormone levels start to drop, these tissues become more sensitive as a result of dryness from lack of estrogen. A self test for pc muscle strength (if the pc (pelvic floor) muscle is weak you are more likely to have POP issues, this is the muscle that holds up the organs in the pelvic cavity) is to wash you hands and insert 2 fingers into the vagina and squeeze down (same type of squeezing you would do if you are stopping the flow of urine). If you can barely feel the squeeze the pc muscle is weak. I assume you did the mirror test (a hand held mirror to the vaginal area to see if tissues are bulging out while in standing position) since you describe no cuts or marks-please look at vaginal opening as well as labia if you have not done that.

Sher
It's funny because when i am wearing loose fitted clothing, the burning subsides, it's when i am wearing pants that are tight in the crotch, or when i sit down or cross my legs that's when the burning gets bad.
I am 27 years old.  
Oh yes, i have done the mirror test and i cannot see anything.  I was/am freaking out because i was worried i had some kind of STD..but it never burns when i urinate..just right before, and right after..never during..and it doesn't hurt to wipe or anything it actually feels good.  I am constantly looking for sores, lesions, bumps..anything..and theres nothing, and also nothing (no tissue) seems to be coming out...(thank god lol).  
At work though i have felt that intense pressure in my vagina and rectum..like something was trying to push out, and when i sat down it went away.  I will try that self test.  Not to mention, i have started to see someone new and am afraid to be intimate with him because i'm not sure if this burning is something contagious..and ofcourse my doc is gone for 2 weeks.  I have never heard of POP before you said something about it..and i have almost all of the symptoms.  
Is there anything i can do at home to stop/manage this burning..or to treat the symptoms of POP?..seeing as how my doc is gone..
Thank you very much!
Burning to that degree would not POP related but the pressure could be so I feel there are 2 separate issues going on here. The burning may be related to detergents you are using to wash your undies in or possibly to a soap you are using when showering. Try going undieless at night when you sleep to see if that helps lessen the irritation. You can try applying a hydrocortisone cream for itching (available at any pharmacy or Walmart) as well.

It's good that you don't see any tissues hanging out, there are probably no cystocele issues going on.  Since you do heavy lifting at work, this may be the cause of the pressure you are feeling as well as the chronic constipation-either one can cause POP  issues. The unfortunate thing about chronic constipation is it is both a cause and symptom, a full loop. You may have a rectocele (rectum).

Try picking up a support garment at Walmart or Target or Kohls (they are much more comfortable than they used to be) to wear while working. Heavy lifting causes repetetive downward pressure on your internal organs and tissues, having some support will help a bit with that. It is also beneficial to wear a pessary (needs to be fitted by dr) this creates internal support and should relieve the pressure sensation. I am curious how strong your pc is. Another test you can try on yourself to see if you have a rectocele is to again wash your hands and when you are having difficulty with a bowel movement, insert a couple of fingers vaginally and push on the rear vaginal wall (toward your back) and see if that makes the poop come out easier. If it does you probably have a rectocele.

It is important to make sure you are getting enough fiber in your diet, with chronic constipation and especially with a rectocele, you are better off with fruit fiber than grain but in all honesty if you do have a rectocele, it will be difficult to improve the chronic constipation. You can try Miralax to see if that helps but I think it's best if women avoid that if possible-you can set up a loop where your body needs the Miralax to actually have a movement at all.

Hope some of this helps!
Sher