Urogynecology Expert Forum
Unusual patterns in urinating/defecating since UTI

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I think something may be wrong downstairs, but I've got no clue what it could be.

In October, I got a bad hair cut. I started taking prenatal vitamins daily because I heard they could make your hair grow more quickly. On December 11th, I woke up in the middle of the night with an incredible urge to go. It wasn't long before I realized I had the worst UTI I'd ever had in my life. I couldn't even let the pee go, that's how bad it hurt. I went to the doctor, got a prescription, drank some cranberry juice, and all was well. Except not really. Ever since that UTI, I've had to go far more frequently than I did before. I know that frequent urination can be a side effect of taking prenatal vitamins, so around Christmas I stopped taking those. But I still always have to go. I usually have to go at least once every hour, and my ability to hold it is gone. If I try to hold it, I usually end up wetting my pants a little. I've also noticed an unusual smell when I'm urinating. You know that odor your urine has when you're on your period? Well, that's how my urine smells all the time these days.
I've also noticed some issus with my stools. I am pooping far more regularly than I have in the past (it happens at exactly the same time every day, and I'm never constipated, nor do I have diarrhea). However, I've started noticing blood in my stools. At first it was just a little on the toilet paper, but now it's a lot all throughout the stool, bright red in color, and I usually have to wipe a few times to get all the blood off.
I've also noticed that I've had cramps that feel like they're in my uterus, but I'm not on my period.
I drink at least 128 ounces of water a day, as well as two glasses of milk (one at lunch, one at dinner). I drink one cup of coffee every morning and don't drink soda. For about a month after my UTI, I drank one glass of cranberry juice a day but I don't drink that anymore.
Are any of these problems I'm having related? What do they mean?