Urogynecology Expert Forum
Upcoming Cystocele/Rectocyle Surgery

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Upcoming Cystocele/Rectocyle Surgery

I was recently diagnosed with 2nd degree cystocele/rectocyle, have had increasing symptoms for the last few years, decided it was time to do something about it.  
I  found a good doctor group well-experienced in this, had consult, am scheduled for surgery soon.  Are there any important questions that I don't want to forget when I see him for my last pre-op consult?
Thanks in advance,
Annie
Present your specific symptoms to the physician, and ask if each of these symptoms will be made better by the surgery. Usually, symptoms of prolapse include  low back pressure, worse at the end of the day, an uncomfortable bulge in the vaginal area, a bulge protruding past the labia(that you can see or feel), difficulty with bowel movements (having to push with your fingers on the vagina to help have a bowel movement). Sometimes urinary frequency can happen in women with prolapse. you want to know if these symptoms will be improved after surgery.
terri,
i too am having that surgery.  when is yours?  let me know how it goes.  thanks.  i am so scared.
cathy
I had my surgery on the 12th, came home on the 14th.  Ended up coming home with a catheter, and have an appt on the 26 to hopefully have it removed.

Surgery went very well, I am not really in pain at all. My lower back hurts more than anything else, Doc says it is because of the position they have to put you in to DO the surgery.  Here 9 days later, I am only occasionally taking 600 mg Motrin, maybe once or twice a day?  All my incisions were internal, and so far I think I am doing ok.  The first bowel movement wasn't even all that bad. It is really important to follow the docs' instructions for recuperation, and be sure to take the stool softeners.

Had rectocyle & cystocele repair, and monarch sling/bladder, and I am 50 yrs. old.

Cathy, don't be afraid. This might be a whole lot easier than you think!  And sooo worth it in the end. (no pun intended LOL).

Annie  
thank you soooo much.  my surgery is tomorrow and i have enterocele too.  i didn't know that.  the dr will be putting in the mesh for my bladder.  he said i will be in the hospital for two days then if i am 99 percent better, i can go home.  i know i will have to wear the catheter home.  i always do.  
i am 58 years old.  i will let you know how it goes.  it will be a couple of days before you hear anything.  thank you!!!  i fell so much better now.  
cathy
A related discussion, what causes odor from rectocyle was started.
A related discussion, back pain was started.