Urogynecology Expert Forum
Urethra Dilation in girl child?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Urethra Dilation in girl child?

When my daughter was in Pre-K, she began having "accidents". She had been daytime potty trained for over a year, but still wore pull-ups at night.  She began having daytime accidents, and eventually we went to see her Pediatrician, who said she had a bladder infection and referred us to a Urologist. She had a VCUG to check for reflux (none found). At age 5, the urologist recommended her "urethra stretched". We opted to do this at the hospital under anesthesia because I was afraid it would be too traumatic. She said that this might be something that my daughter would have to have done again, if she started experiencing problems again. My daughter is now almost 8 years old, and is again having Urgency to urinate issues. It's like the need to go just hits her all at once, and it's strong. I've done some reading on the Internet about Urethra Dilation and have seen mixed reviews and I have concerns.  Is this really the only solution?  To just have this procedure every few years?  One concern: if the urge hits, she has to "hold it in" until she can "get it under control" to actually stand up and walk to the bathroom. But sometimes, by the time she gets it under control (like within a minute or less) she says she doesn't have to "go" anymore.  Another concern: she has RARELY ever gone without an accident overnight. In her life. Ever. (We've tried limiting nighttime drinks, etc)  It's like she just simply doesn't wake up when her bladder is full. Also - her Urologist mentioned that when the Dilation was performed that she found my daughter's bladder muscle to be "rough" and not smooth. She seemed puzzled by that, like she had never seen that before. Has anyone heard of that before? It almost sounds like a bladder muscle issue, rather than an urethra issue. I have a Dr appointment scheduled, but I'd like to go into it this time better prepared/informed and possible get a 2nd opinion if the "stretching" is prescribed again. Thank you!
Tags: Urethra, child
I would suggest that you seek a second opinion with a pediatric urologist.  You are correct that urethral dilation is controversial.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD