Urogynecology Expert Forum
Urethral bleeding after course of oral antibiotics for UTI; Female in e...
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Urethral bleeding after course of oral antibiotics for UTI; Female in early 20s

About 4 weeks ago, I started to develop a feeling of urgency, and noticed that my urine was cloudy and had a foul odor. I went to a walk-in clinic where a urine sample was collected, cultured, and came back several days later with a signs of a mild bacterial infection. I was put on a weekly course of antibiotics – I don't recall exactly what; it could have been Trimethoprim, but I know that it wasn’t Cipro – and the symptoms seemed to subside. However, about 5 days after finishing the antibiotics, the symptoms started to resurface. The cloudy urine and the sense of urgency were back again, but they were now accompanied by bouts of temporary incontinence. I have not experienced a burning sensation, and have no reason to suspect that an STI is the cause.

This morning, I noticed blood in my vulva when I wiped myself after urinating. It was bright, red blood, and did not seem as though it was diluted by anything or had had a chance to oxidize. There was no discernible blood in my urine. I got my partner to examine my genital area to determine the source of the blood, and he confirmed that it was indeed coming from my urethra. To try to isolate whether the blood was originating from an abrasion just inside my urethra or someplace deeper, such as my kidneys or bladder, I cleaned my vulva before urinating this afternoon (some blood was present). My stream was clear/yellow throughout, but after finishing I noticed that a few more drops of that bright, red blood had pooled around my urethra's opening. Upon "squeezing" the appropriate muscles, a little more urine did escape, which I did notice was red; however, I could not tell whether this came further back in my urinary tract or if it was normal urine that simply mixed with the blood that had pooled around my urethral opening.

I would go to a walk-in clinic, but none in my area are open on Sunday afternoons. What in the heck could this be? Thanks in advance for your time!