Urogynecology Expert Forum
Urgent/Frequent Urination and Menstrual Cycle

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I'm 37 and have noticed urinary urgency problems on and off for a few years. However, right before and during my menstrual cycle, this issue is at its worst. It's particularly noticeable if I happen to bend over shortly after feeling the need to go (presumably because of the pressure on my bladder?). At that point I can barely hold it. Even when I restrict fluids, I have to go more frequently and urgently than I do the rest of the month, and it's not like a little dribble either. When I go, I go quite a bit. I've never had children, so I doubt it's a uterine link. Any ideas?
Pelvic floor symptoms often are worse in the second half of the cycle. Occasionally, some women are diagnosed with endometriosis in the bladder, which can cause the symptoms you describe (usually though, with endometriosis there is pain before and during the period) . Get a workup for bladder infection, and once this is negative, get an evaluation for overactive bladder. If you are a smoker, this should include a cystoscopy to look for (unlikely) bladder tumors.

You may benefit from medical, or physical therapy for overactive bladder.