Urogynecology Expert Forum
Urinary Frequency

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Urinary Frequency

I am a 42 year old women, generally in good health. I do tend to urinate a lot, but for the last week or so I would say that I urinate at least twenty times a day including up to five times a night. Also, for the past six months or so I have been gettting this on and off again pressure in my lower left back and side - almost like a painless spasm, and also some pelvic/abdominal cramping like sharp pains (especially when I have to have a bowel movement). These pains are not constant or progressive, but come and go. I did have my left ovary removed because of a dermoid cyst several years ago and was told in the past that my pelvic pain may be caused by adhesion scars. I had a pelvic exam and routine pap about three months ago which was normal. Recently, I saw my GP about the urinary frequency and was told that my urine sample showed no sign of infection. Had full blood work done recently as well - all normal. The doctor seemed to think I might just have an "irritable bladder" and told me to try cutting out tomatoes, caffeine, chocolate etc... My questions are:

1) I have a significant immediate family history of cancer (i'm one of eight kids): breast, pancreatic, lung, melanoma and multiple myeloma. should I be worried about ovarian cancer or bladder cancer? From what I read I seem to have some of the symptoms. I have not lost any weight and apetite is good, no significant fatigue. Other than the things I mentioned, I feel fine.

2) Are there further tests I should have done in your opinion, or specialists I should see?

Thanks so much for your help!
Urinary frequency without incontinence can often be caused by overactive pelvic floor muscles, which can also cause pelvic pain and pain with intercourse, and also the bladder spasma that you mention. Bladder cancer is rare, but can also present as urinary frequency (the need to urinate often). The risk factor for bladder cancer is a history of smoking. Suspicion for bladder cancer is raised if there is blood in the urine.  Consider an exam of the pelvic floor muscles, which can be conducted by a licensed pelvic floor physical therapist. If there are active trigger pointsin the pelvic floor muscles, these can be cured by pelvic floor physical theraly, which can also decrease the bladder symptoms.
1 Comment
im 41 and seem to be havin some problems. i havent had a period in overa year,and 3 months ago bleed for a couple days..i been gettin this rash stuff on my legs that itch badly and last week my legs swelled up. they put me on prednisone and clindimyicin and now it feels like my vagina is on fire and maybe evn a hemmoroid what is going on? please help