UROGYNECOLOGY
FORUM
Urine that smells like burnt BBQ coals
by alexmorgan205, Mar 09, 2012
For over a year my urine has smelled like burnt BBQ coals. The smell is very strong and even after I flush the toilet the smell remains in the bathroom for several minutes. Plus the color of my urine is a deep/dark yellow, like a deep mustard gold. My urine also seems very heavy in body, like Chardonnay wine or even heavier than that. I'm guessing I have a urinary tract infection. But being a life-time abuser of Advil (ibuprofen) and cigarettes, could it be related to my kidneys? However, I do not abuse alcohol, not now or ever in my life. I have also used tampons my entire life (30+ years), I have never been pregnant, I haven't had sex in over a year, I have never had an STD, and I know from other self-examines my problem has nothing to do with my vagina, I.e.- vaginitis/etc.

I don't have health insurance yet I know something is terribly wrong with me. Considering I am unable to see a doctor to be examined or get a prescription, is there anyway I can self-medicate to rid myself of whatever is wrong with me?
Answer:
by J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank, Mar 22, 2012
The color & smell of your urine can be related to your diet and/or medication.   However, from your discription, I would suggest you see a doctor for evaluation.  There is really no way to tell if you complaints are the results of a medical problem with out evaluation.  Thank you for your question.
Member Comments (2)
by Rajiv Goel, MDBlank, Mar 12, 2012
Dear alexmorgan205,

Thanks for writing in.

I am not really worried about the smell of the urine. However, I am certainly worried about the colour of the urine and also the fact that you have been consuming ibuprofen and cigarettes for long. I would definitely encourage you to cut down on both as pain killers like ibuprofen can permanently damage your kidneys and are one of the leading causes of renal failure in the world.

Considering your history, the possibility of you having an infection is low.  However, I shall like you to be investigated with microscopic urine examination, renal function, liver function test and ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

Considering the fact that you don't have insurance, I will suggest that you increase your water intake to 3 litres per day and have lemon water twice daily for 1 week and see if things improve. If you don't improve, then you would definitely need the investigations mentioned above.
Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Rajiv goel