Urogynecology Expert Forum
Uterine prolapse and Interstital cystitis

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I am a 45 year old female who has been diagnoised with IC as well I have a moderate uterine prolapse. I have been in pain for over 2 years and have recently been diagnoised with IC and a uterine prolapse. I tried bladder instalations since November 09 and have recently had botox injected into my bladder since the instaltions were making me much sicker. The pain is about 50 % less than before the botox but I still have a very strong pain in the right side of my vagina as well as groan and back pain. My periods have gotten to the point that i bleed for 3 weeks and don't for one all though sometimes I just bleed all month long. My doctor is recomending they do an emblasion of the uterus to see if that helps the prolapse. My  cervex is bout 1/2" from the opening of my vagina. Do you think I should just have a hysteroctomy.
Thanks for your question. It is important to understand that a uterine artery embolization may be beneficial to women with large uterine fibroids.  If this is the cause of your bleeding the embolization may help that particular symptom.  The embolization would
not be expected to improve the uterine prolapse or symptoms related to Painful Bladder Syndrome/Interstitial Cystitis.  I am glad to hear that the botox injuction relieved 50% of your pain.  That certainly suggests you are on the right track.  If may need to be repeated.  Common ways to manage uterine prolapse include: a pessary device, a rigorous program of pelvic floor muscle conditioning, and surgery (with or without hysterectomy).  Talk to your doctor about all of these options at your next visit and make sure that you have a clear understanding as to which therapy is being offered for which problem.  Good luck.
47yr old female....For the past two months I have been bleeding like a period sometimes heavier... than normal.. I had a tubal about almost 12 years ago... when my last child was born.. I have normal 5 day periods the first week of every month...however, in between, two weeks later I'm bleeding again but with pain on my left side..I have gone to hospital emergency room... they did X-rays and CT scans with contract dyes... but they claim everythings normal..This is not normal... something is causing it... I had every symptom of an etopic preg.  but that came up neg. too... I was in a wreck a few weeks ago...and that's when the pain got worse that sent me to ER...They found fluid in my pelvic area... and they put me on an antibiotic.. which I've been on for a week now..and I'm still in pain.... my side still hurts and I'm bleeding again... What's going on... ?????? No one will give me answers...
Also... All my life I have had normal periods until April 2010... April and May so far have been bleeding every 2 weeks... Confused at whats wrong...
Is it harmonal imbalance...????
A related discussion, Pelvic floor manipulation under anesthesia was started.