Urogynecology Expert Forum
Vaginal burning & possible UTI
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vaginal burning & possible UTI

I was diagnosed last year with MS. For the past 5 years I have suffered with unexplained vaginal burning. Yeast cultures always come back negative. So have STD tests, Strep & herpes tests. The burning is usually internal. I've begun to suspect, even though I am 37, that it may be vaginal dryness but my Dr. won't check my hormones.

Within the past week I began to notice some pressure in my lower abdomen & some pain & slight urgency to urinate. The skin began to become irritated as well. It doesn't feel the same as past UTIs that I have had, I took a couple AZO tests & they consistently showed traces of leukocytes. My doctors office did a quick test & they said it was negative.However, the symptoms are worse today. My doctor called in cipro for me but i hate to take an antibiotic if it won't help.

Is it possible this is a bladder infection? I have not been running a fever but today I felt a little nauseous.
1344197_tn?1392822771
Urine dips in an office setting are reasonable accurate but not 100%.  It is possible you do have a UTI with a negative dip.  However, your urine culture should be positive.  Intermittent vaginal burning may represent a condition called Vestibulitis or Vulvadynia.  You might seek a second opinion for a GYN that treats theses conditions.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1344197_tn?1392822771
J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Plano Urogynecology Associates
Plano, TX
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now