Urogynecology Expert Forum
Vesicovaginal Fistula from hysterectomy what are my options

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Hi, I would like to know what I am to expect. I had a hysterectomy on April 28, 2011 and now I was diagnosed with a VVF (vesicovaginal fistula) from the surgery. I am wearing a catheter and my urologist is taking a wait and see approach for 14 days.
The uncomfortably is horrible, but also the fact that I am facing a repair surgery that is expected to be a much more extensive surgery than the hysterectomy.
I would like to know if there is any success with the vaginal approach to this repair surgery. I am told that the abdominal surgery is the only one to ensure that it would be a success, but I really would like to know more about it. I am told I will have to wear a catheter after that surgery and it may not even take.
Please let me know if there is any experience with this. I would like to know what my options are. I am devastated that I have to go through another surgery right away and then it may not even fix this issue.
Thank you.
Depending in the size and location of the fistula, repair may be done vaginally. The majority of VVS I see are repaired by a vaginal approach.    If you are concerned with your current treatment plan, I would suggest you seek a second opinion with a Urogynecologist or Urologist.