Urogynecology Expert Forum
Vesicovaginal Fistula from hysterectomy what are my options
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vesicovaginal Fistula from hysterectomy what are my options

Hi, I would like to know what I am to expect. I had a hysterectomy on April 28, 2011 and now I was diagnosed with a VVF (vesicovaginal fistula) from the surgery. I am wearing a catheter and my urologist is taking a wait and see approach for 14 days.
The uncomfortably is horrible, but also the fact that I am facing a repair surgery that is expected to be a much more extensive surgery than the hysterectomy.
I would like to know if there is any success with the vaginal approach to this repair surgery. I am told that the abdominal surgery is the only one to ensure that it would be a success, but I really would like to know more about it. I am told I will have to wear a catheter after that surgery and it may not even take.
Please let me know if there is any experience with this. I would like to know what my options are. I am devastated that I have to go through another surgery right away and then it may not even fix this issue.
Thank you.