Urogynecology Expert Forum
WBCs in urine after repeated antibiotic courses
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

WBCs in urine after repeated antibiotic courses

I'm a 31-year-old female, and have been experiencing urinary tract issues since December. It began with a slight discomfort of a UTI, and a home test showed white blood cells and no nitrites. The doctor prescribed Cipro after a urinalysis showed the same thing, but then had me stop them a few days later when the urine culture was negative for bacteria, and no other follow-up was done. A subsequent STD test was also negative. In late January/early February, I felt bladder pain and urinary discomfort. I went to the doctor again (a different once since my primary care doctor left), and he told me nothing was wrong and to drink more water. I went to the OB/GYN two days later, and the tests again showed white blood cells. She prescribed Macrobid, which I continued to take even after the culture came back negative. I continued having intermittent bladder pain, and went to yet another doctor two weeks ago. White blood cells are again present, and a microscopy showed some bacteria. I just finished the course of Bactrim last week, though follow-up analysis STILL shows white blood cells and sediment and I'm still experiencing intermittent bladder pain. I will go to a urologist soon, but does anyone have ANY clue what it could be? I've been using nothing but unscented detergent, dryer sheets, and soap, not taking baths, etc. And another funny thing -- since this has all been happening, I can't even have half a glass of wine without getting a headache within the hour. Could all these issues be some functional kidney/bladder issue? Thank you!!
1344197_tn?1392822771
Sorry to read of your problem.  I agree that a Urological evaluation is in order.  Symptoms of bladder infections with negative cultures represents a number of conditions associated with bladder irritation and infection.  A work up will help determine what is going on.  I would suggest you see a urologist or urogynecologist.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1344197_tn?1392822771
J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Plano Urogynecology Associates
Plano, TX
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now