Urogynecology Expert Forum
Weak pelvic floor after hysterectomy
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Weak pelvic floor after hysterectomy

Hello,
Thank you for taking my question. I am 42 years of age and 6 months ago I had a TAH-BSO due to complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia. There were no complications post-op and I began taking Estrace 6 weeks after surgery once the pathology report revealed I was free of cancer. I am fit, eat very well and exercise daily (run 6 to 9km daily).

Since surgery I have been unable to fully evacuate my stool. Initially I thought that I was constipated and took measures (stool softeners) to assist, yet never did the consistency of my stool suggest constipation, nor did the stool softeners make evacuation any easier. It seemed as though I no longer had any strength in my pelvic floor. By good luck rather than good management, I happened upon a "procedure" that helps. If I place my had (wrapped in toilet paper), on the area between the vagina and the rectum, and push up while trying to evacuate- VOILA!! I am able to easily evacuate the stool. Frequently throughout the day I am subjected to preforming this manoeuvre as I often feel the need to pass a bowel movement even if the movement is very small. If I don't help myself along, I can sit and strain (forever) and absolutely nothing will come out, but add a little lift and all is well.

I'm not a fan of this situation and wonder why I'm experiencing this symptom and if I can expect to regain strength or if this weakness is something with which I will need to learn to live? I should add - I have had two vaginal births, the first resulted in a tear from vagina to rectum, the second just a small tear. I did have a colonoscopy one month ago as a routine check due to colon cancer in our family and nothing was mentioned regarding any irregularities.

Thank you kindly for any insight you can provide.
Sincerely,
Warmwave