Urogynecology Expert Forum
What kind of Doctor for lichen sclerosis

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I have a long history of female problems.  I am 56, had complete hysterectomy at 35, y plasty, z plasty and vestibulectomy and hymenectomy due to skin atrophy in the vaginal area.  Now I cannot even have sex with my husband because the vaginal opening has narrowed so much it is impossible and it hurts so bad up inside of me.  I was just diagnosed last week with Lichen Sclerosis last week when I went to a Urologist for what I thought was a UTI because of pain and having to pee all the time, but was told my urethra was beginning to close up due to the LS and urine was backing up in my bladder.  I now have to use a catheter daily 16 French to keep my urethra open.  My guestion is what doctor do I need to go to for LS, UTI, vaginal pain and shrinking opeing?  The hood on my clitoris is fusing together and almost hiding my urethra.  I was told by a gyno oncologist a few years ago that I needed to have a neo vaginal advancement using intestine and remove all my vaginal skin.  I just don't think I can do that.  Do I need a urogynocologist, just a gynocologist, or stay with the urologist  (who can't do anything with the vaginal area).  I am so depressed over all this I just don't know what to do.WHich kind of doctor would deal with all these problems?  I live in the Dallas area and don't know who to go to.  Please help.
THere are steroid medications which can relieve symptoms of ichen sclerosus. Most general gynecologists have the skill to diagnose and treat this condition. It sounds like you had extensive surgery in the vaginal/vulvar area. I am wondering if there is also a component of vaginal atrophy, because of low estrogen levels. Please have this evaluated by a gynecologist whi has experience with vulvar skin issues. They may be able to help.
Join the yahoo group happy pelvis  and vulvar disorders.    There are a lot of women there who have experienced many of the things that you are going through.   A dermatologist would be a good place to start for the LS.  As for the atrophy, has anybody ever done a hormone panel on you?  Especially with having had a hysterectomy.    Try to find a gyn who deals with chronic pelvic pain conditions.  Call, ask around, just don't stop asking until you find someone who is willing to listen to you and help.