Urogynecology Community
advice

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

advice

Hi, Hopefully someone can help me. I have been dealing with rectal pressure for 3 years and can't have a bowel movement without taking milk of magnesium and even when I do take it I dont empty all the way. I have seen numerous doctors had a anorectal manometry test done that showed minimal ability to perform a balloon expulsion suggestive nerve damage. I have had two proctograms done the first one show small rectocele so he fixed it and didn't change anything. had another one done few weeks ago showed the same thing but the are saying it is small to moderate so they don't seem to think thats the problem. So they are giving me a colostomy which could be reversable. I'm just getting a little nerves about it what if it is the rectocele causing this. any advice would be great
You are extremely young for them to jump to this radical of a step. Can you fill in more details? Have you been evaluated by a urogynecologist? This is the specialist for pelvic organ prolapse and is the best bet for proper treatment whether surgical or nonsurgical. Rectal pressure is extremely common with a rectocele as is constipation. If they have done surgery for a rectocele and it hasn't fixed the problem, please see another physician.

Nerve damage is very difficult to address but an attempt should be made to have a physical therapist who specializes in pelvic floor try b/4 you have a colostomy.

Sher
Hi this isn't something I'm jumping into I have been living with this and seeing doctor for 3 1/2 years now trust me this isn't something I want to do but I want my life back to. And I'm fare from constipated even taking milk of magnesium I can't get the fluid out all the way I can hear the fluid in the colon I sound like a pool. And when I do enemas I go into spasms in the rectum. I have had every test that could be done ct's colonoscopies 2 of them, scopes down my throat, marker test, small bowel series, baruim enema's botox injections & nerve blockers physical therapy 3 different ones you name it I have had it done. Everything comes back fine the only thing that didn't was the nerve test. I have used every laxative that's out there. And I have seen numerous doctors from cleveland clinic to U of M hospital and many more this. This is pretty much the last resort doing the colostomy the only good thing is it's reversible  but you did answer my question on the rectocele thank you for that. They said the same thing they didn't think that would be causing it either but it's good to have many opinions on it. thank you  Hockeymom 011
Yes there are scenarios where a colostomy is the best recourse; a reversible one makes sense given your age. Sounds like you've been through extensive testing. I hope you get some resolution to this situation.

Sher