Urogynecology Expert Forum
bad smelling urine

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

bad smelling urine

A few years ago I started having really bad smelling urine about twice to five times a day.  It smelled something like rotten eggs or a burnt match.  I've had urine tests to rule out UTI and blood tests.  There was never a problem found.  I had a baby 6 months ago and I didn't have this problem while I was pregnant, so I forgot about it, (and never brought it up to my OB).  Now I'm having the problem again about once a week or so.  Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be?  thanks
I know that some foods can change the color or odor of the urine. If the UTI workup is negative to date, Please review your diet for foods or medications that are associated with the bad odor.

Rotten eggs/burnt match sounds like s sulphur smell. Are you on any sulfa drugs, or foods high in sulfa?

I would definately say it's a sulfur smell.  It's so strong sometimes that I'm afraid to go to the bathroom at other people's houses or public restrooms.  My husband has joked that it smelled like there was a shootout in the bathroom after I came out.

I'm not on any sulpha drugs, and don't eat large amounts of food that are high in sulpha.  I don't eat asparagus so it's not "asparagus pee."
I eat fairly healthy food and am physically fit.  I have good hygiene-don't douche-use mild soap, so it's not a vaginal odor. It's definately an odor from urine.  I've never had an STD.  I used to drink diet soda when the odor started and stopped drinking it about a year ago because I heard it can cause health problems.  This might be too much information but I can't think of anything that would be causing it.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive to anything with sulpha, or eliminate too much of it too quickly?

The blood tests I've had were for kidney, liver, diabetes, cholesterol, and a complete metabolic panel.  (maybe a few others I don't remember) Everything came back normal.  That's why I'm asking this question on here.

Thanks for reading this and any ideas you may have

I have the very same problem and don't know why this is happening (the strong sulfuric-smelling urine).  I have had my urine tested also and they found nothing wrong, except neurogenic bladder.  Some things that may or may not be relevant in my case:
I have been taking Imodium (immodium) AD for 2 years (1/2 a tablet with lunch, 1/2 with dinner) because of constant diarrhea caused by Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome.  The strong smell didn't start happening until a year ago, when docs discovered I also had Syringomyelia (a fluid-filled cyst in the spine).  The smell is very overbearing because, with these conditions, I also have no bladder control.  This means I have accidents during the day (wearing Serenity pads), and at night (waking up to a soaked Priva bed protector pad).  You can imagine the looks I get when I have to go to the laudromat to wash these bed pads!  I do drink a lot of Coke and tea.  But I always did before this started happening. I can't think of what could be causing this, but any advice would be appreciated.

You are not alone in this problem!

--Beezhou (female)
I'm sorry you have incontinence in addition to this problem.  I have completely stopped drinking all soda and I haven't had the problem since, (which is probably a coincidence).  A lot of people drink soda and don't have this, so I'm still curious.  

Let me know if you find anything out.  take care
A related discussion, Same thing was started.
A related discussion, Bad smelling pee was started.
A related discussion, smelly urine was started.
My urine has had an odor for about 2 yrs. Mostly premenstrual is worst.  Have had several tests and seen the urologist as well as gynecologist. I have slight leaking problem. But the sulfur smell started today. I have to travel this weekend and an anxious about not only leaking but now this smell. The only different drink I've had was the Gatorade G2 performance drink which is supposed to have potassium. The whole situation is extremely frustrating.  I totally understand what you're all going through.
A related discussion, What's happening to me?? was started.