Urogynecology Expert Forum
bladder sling

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

bladder sling
I had a partial hysterectomy and a bladder sling placed in December 2010. I started having stomach pain and thought it might be a recurrence of a ulcer. A CT scan and a HPyloreic test proved this negative. I went back to my Gyn and was given a Transvaginal Ultrasound. Very Painful! Md said that sling was placed right but the vaginal wall was thin and there could be erosion. She gave me Estrogen tabs (vaginal) and told me to come back in a month. Since then I have seen where there is a Class Action Lawsuit against the makers of some of these slings. How many of these slings are at risk. What are my risks and/or options? I am having severe pain during intercourse and I am only 45!
I am not able to speak to the lawsuit issue.  I can say that slings that have proven to be problematic have in general been pulled from the market.  Having had your surgery in 2010, I suspect you have a very common sling in place.

I would suggest you follow up with your doctor and allow him or her to treat the issue appropriately.  Erosions of sling into the vagina can be addressed and often treated in an office setting.  If this proves to be unsuccessful, the sling can be removed.

I most instances in my experience, vaginal pain from a sling can be successfully treated.
I was not aware ofclass action on bladder slings. I had surgery late Dec. 10' the Dr. said it was a Lavendar sling made from pork.  If this lawsuit is for the newer slings I would like to know more about it. thanks