Urogynecology Community
cadaver dermis

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

cadaver dermis

Has anyone ever been told about using cadaver dermis to repair cystocel and rectocel?  My dr wants to use this instead of the shnthetic mesh.  He said that he uses it like the mesh but that your body will create new blood vescles in it and will eventually make it your own tissue.  He will not use the mesh for an entire bladder sling.  He said that if I only needed a partial one, that he would consider the synthetic stuff, but that the risk of erosion was too high to use it for the entire bladder.  Unfortunately, I need the entire thing lifted back up...
I wish that I could remember the "brand name" of this donar tissue.  I will find out before surgery and let you all know.  Apparently it is more widely used than I knew.  I bet some women have it and don't know it.
bump
Some physicians do use cadaver tissue, there are good and bad aspects to every technique/material used-it typically comes down to physician preference. Is your physician a urogynecologist? This is the specialist for this health issue, they know the best techniques and materials to use. Every woman is different on the inside. Personally I feel synthetic materials hold up better; you want this to be a one time fix. I'm guessing your physician wants to utilize the cadaver material because you are so young; often physicians tend to go with synthetic materials in women who have aggressive POP issues or are older. Placement of synthetic material needs to be precise, if it's put in too tight it causes pain, if its put in too loose and it doesn't completely fix the problem. Put in properly it works very well. Have you asked your physician how many of these procedures he has done and if he has utilized synthetic material in any of his other patients? I'd ask more questions about risk of failure down the road-the nice thing about synthetic is you typically don't have to have repeat surgery down the road-you want this to be a one time fix.

Sher
Also since you have both cyctocele and  rectocele issues, I'd really dig deeper into getting synthetic mesh. How soon is your surgery?

Sher
The surgery is not until May 2nd because I have 3 small children and have no help.
Whether you see a urogyn or stick with your current dr, I'd still ask what his long term success rate is with cadaver tissue.
I am very nervous about this surgery.  I didnt know they would want to make a incision in my vagina and the cadaver tissue concerned me at first  my doc assured me his success rate is 90% and this is the only way he does it.  Im not that great on the computer and im having trouble finding the answers that I want.  Im diabetic and healing is sometimes a issue.  I scheduled the surgery for end of april so I have plenty of time to figure out if this is really what I want
Hi, I understand your nervousness about undergoing major surgery.  The most important thing you can do is to find out how experienced your doctor is on this type of surgery and his success rate.  You mention you were told a 90% success rate but out of how many surgeries per day/week?  Is your doctor an urogynecologist who specializes in this type of surgery?  Another concern is your diabetic and healing issues.  This is another question you can ask your doctor directly about.  I also think a second opinion is good to get especially from a urogyne if at all possible.  You are on the right track to take your time and get the answers you need before you undergo surgery.  If you know the name of the surgery and cadaver tissue used see if you can google it.  Please pass that info to us also so we see if we can help you further.  I had prolapse surgery last Sept. and have done a lot of research on prolapse surgery.  Keep digging until you feel confidant going into surgery