Urogynecology Expert Forum
constant bladder infections

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

constant bladder infections

Constant UTI's for the last 15 years!
In the last 5 years they have become very frequent i.e every 3-6 weeks. 3 types of bacteria always inclu e coli.
Must now take cephradine family 500 mg 3 or 4 times a day for up to 10 days.
Hysterectomy plus cervix last year. Constant throbbing/ cutting pain high in vagina slightly to the right. Ph balance of vagina always over 7.1 despite regular treatments with appropriate products. Pain and burning after sex. Need to insert ice cubes after sex to help! Then comes the next UTI.
The pain in Vagina seems to be on the top wall indicating the top of wee pipe is not happy. All the time even when no infection urine comes out very fine and i must push. Bladder never seems to empty properly and at times i have to go to toilet many many times a day. Sometimes it works fine and the flow is good.
Have had many procedures, cystoscopy etc etc etc but no one is helping me anymore!
Is there a connection with the vaginal ph always too high? If i try to get this corrected will they stop?
Can you help?
Sometimes i feel suicidal as my life is not what it should be and i had to give up my job in the end.
If you have culture proven cystitis (UTI), and these are recurrent, there should be a hunt for the cause: Causes can include kidney/bladder stones, collecting system anomalies (These 2 can often be found on a CT Urogram or Intravenous pylegram), urinary retention (can be found by checking a postvoid residual). A Fistula (abnormal connection between bladder and vagina or bowels) can also cause the problem you describe. If you have had multiple surgeries in the pelvis, you may be at higher risk for some of the above conditions. Your symptoms of needing to push to urinate and going often during the day make me wonder about incomplete bladder emptying...

High vaginal ph usually goes along with low estrogen levels, or perhaps urine collecting in the vagina.
this could be an allergic reaction to condoms if u use them...or if u use KY...i had the same problem and then i stopped using condoms and the UTI's went away.....if ur not using condoms or KY it could be from tampons or not urinating or cleaning yourself after sex...if this still doesnt work then u mite need to go and see a doctor...they can prescribe your something to get rid of pain and UTI
Have you every been assessed for pelvic floor dysfunction.  This is when the tissues of the pelvis are relaxed and allow the bladder and or rectum to fall into the vaginal vault.  An anterior wall prolapse of the bladder could certain cause many of your symptoms.  You can check for it yourself by inserting your finger into you vagina and bearing down.  Best done while standing.  If you feel a large bulge you may have a what is called a cystocele.  You can consult a urogynocologist which can help.  I would suggest seeing a urogyn specialist either way for some assistance.