Urogynecology Expert Forum
cystoceles - Small baby, one birth, young mom?

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

I am a 28 year old mother of one. The baby was born 2 years ago when I was 26. He was 7 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches in lenght. Not a very big baby and he was my one and only. The birth was a very fast one however. My water broke at home we were at the hospital less then an hour later. The baby was born an hour and a half after we got there. So in 2.5 hours I had a baby. It was a very quick and painful birth (i sure they are all painful) but I tore in 3 places acording to my doctor and was stitched up afterwards. Bleeding was very heavy. Baby is fine and healthy. But here I am 2 years later and I have a stage 2 almost 3 cystoceles prolapse. My family has never had an issue with this and my parents, husband, and myself are worried that this could be a complication from other medical issues. i am worried that it may interfere with intercourse, a 2nd child, etc.

Why did this happen to me at such a young age?
HI,
Many women develop loosening of the front wall of the vagina after childbirth. This is considered normal. Occasionally, the bulging comes down to where you can actually see it (sometimes with a mirror, sometimes without ) when you squat and strain. When you can actually see a bulge (golf ball, grape sized or larger), this is considered significant prolapse. This can actually be repaired surgically if it is symptomatic (i.e., problems urinating, or defecating, low back pain/pressure, problems with intercourse) , usually only sutures are required, and without loss of your uterus. The procedure is called a laparoscopic uterosacral suspension to pull up on the uterus and vagina, together with something called an anterior repair to strengthen the front wall of the vagina. A cystoscopy is usually also required to make sure there is no bladder damage related to the repair. I usually recommend future deliveries by cesarean at 38 weeks l after such a procedure, in order to preserve the repair.  Regarding the cause, childbirth is generally considered a risk factor for prolapse, and you would qualify on that count. Some families tend to have the problem more than others but yours does not according to what you told me.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Hoyte
1 Comment
A related discussion, "Fishy" smell was started.
A related discussion, Why do I have UTI-like symptoms after giving birth? was started.