Urogynecology Expert Forum
extra flap in perineum following rectocele

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Following rectocele surgery I have an extra flap of skin in perineum.  It is 6 wks post op now and the flap isn't getting smaller, it is actually getting bigger.  It is painful and rubs on my clothes.  I still can't wear jeans or dress slacks without extreme pain so have to wear sweat pants and yoga pants.  I don't expect it to get better since it is still getting worse.  My 6 wk post op appt in one week but I am pretty sure I am going to ask him to repair this because it it very painful and still getting worse.  Has anyone else had this?
Sorry to read of your problem.  It is difficult to determine exactly what the problem is.  However, it does sound like there is a problem that needs to be treated.  I would suggest you discuss this with your surgeon again and see what his or her plan is.  Should you be unsatisfied with the answer, I would suggest you see a second opinion from a  urogynecologist.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD