Urogynecology Community
how long does it take for stitches to desolve

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

I had a a and p repair on the 3rd May. I had a quick look down there today all the stitches are still there no sign of them desolving yet. I am still very swollen down there at 6 weeks post op I still very sore and it is very ichity down below . I still have had no bleeding at all  Can someone tell me how long it will be before the stitches desolve and the when will the swelling soreness and itchness go away.
Please check with you physicians office on this, different materials are used by different drs. In general internal stitches should come out by this time, you typically find them when you wipe or in the toilet. Did your dr give you any kind of estrogen cream to apply to vaginal tissues to aid healing and prevent irritation? If not, you may want to ask about it.

Sher
no i not found any and the oh says that they are still are there .I can feel them if i explore down there. I cant really stand  any thing to sort of go down there. As it still feels really sore.It still hurts and it is still throbbing down there.
The tissues in the entire zone will remain hard for a bit so it may feel like there are stitches in there even after they have dissolved. Try to not explore the area with your fingers, it may create infection concerns. The heal curve for POP surgery can be quite long, typically 8-12 weeks, so you are still in the curve. Do check with your dr on vaginal estrogen if you are not already taking it-it has a great impact on healing of these tissues. It is also helpful for dried irritated vaginal tissues when you haven't had surgery. (Unless you've had cancer, then you should avoid estrogen based products.)

Sher