Urogynecology Community
hysterectomy/bladder sling surgery and possible uti?

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

i had my vaginal hysterectomy and bladder sling surgery 3 weeks ago today. i just regained the ability to pee on my own without the catheter at the end of last week. but i am unsure if the burning feeling when i pee is from where the catheter was in for so long, or if i am or have developed a uti? my doctor who did my surgery is 4  hours away from where i live, (went to my parents town to have it done so i would have help with my children) and so if i need an antibiotic i will need to go to an urgent care around my area. but, i don't want to act to quickly and take an antibiotic if i do not need one. i also just finished 2 antibiotics, cipro and flagyl. and also, i do not really have any other symptoms of a uti or bladder infection, no fever, no abdominal pain or nausea. so is burning when i pee a normal reaction after taking out the catheter?
A cath being in place for that amount of time can cause a great deal of irritation to the urethra, and if you just finished 2 antibiotics it is unlikely you have a UTI. I would suggest you call the physician who did the repair and ask them how long it will take for the discomfort to go away and if you need to watch for anything. After being on antibiotics it is always a good idea to bump up the probiotics or yogurt too to help balance out the stomach flora-sometimes we lean toward yeast issues when on antibiotics, since all of these tissues are in the same area there could be a couple different things causing the irritation. Once you talk to the physician who did the procedure, you will be better guided on what is the best path for your situation. I'd rather make a phone call than have someone new involved in prescribing rx that aren't needed.
Sher