Urogynecology Expert Forum
intercourse extremely painfull- urethral stricture

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

hi there is im real need of good advice.I was born with my anal and vaginal opening extremely close together, and i dont know if this has to do with my recurrent urethral narrowing? i had my first dilation done at the age of 6 months as i have been told, then when i was older another 9 followed, i have been on many different antibotics one for example is macrodantin and it had no effect on the infection(UTI and chronic bladder infection). this is really impacting negatively on my life as this is very difficult on my fiance.Is there a permanent surgical procedure that can be done , i will be gratefull to even have a year to be able to have a normal intimate life , with out severe pain?

please help

kindest regards

cheree
Not sure I understand your question. The vaginal and anal opening are usually about 2.5-4 centimeters (about 1-1.5) inches apart. There are some birth variations where they share the same opening, but this is considered abnormal, and surgical correction is usually offered for these. To the best of my knowledge, this is not usually associated with urethral problems. It sounds like your main complaint is recurrent bladder infections, and for this you need to locate a urologist who is expert in recurrent bladder infections. These can be caused by abnormalities of the urinary tract, (e.g., duplicated ureters, urethral diverticulum) or  kidney/bladder stones. You need an evaluation ruling the usual causes, and you may find the cause, and be offered treatment for this.

Dr. Hoyte
I have a hunch here and I suggest you explore this in depth before the marriage and not after.  The urethra stricture you speak of was diagnosed very early in your life?  And all the procedures followed at this time as an infant female?  Who was the Doctor that did all of these procedures for this may become very important to the story.
Please go to your doctor and ask for a clear explantion as to why the urethra is so low and why everthing is so close to the anal opening.  Do not discuss this with anyone until you have full explanations and someone to discuss this with.  If a clear answer is not given then come back and ask for the next step to this question.  Right now I will not state a hunch at all, but I do have a few ideas that may help depending on the route that you may wish to take.  Have a good day and smile a bit!
Your question is very interesting to me, and I would love to follow your steps in what you do to correct the issue. I get UTIs, bladder infections, and kidney infections A LOT, and it seems to be everytime after sex and it is very painful. One of the many doctors i've seen prescribed me a pill to take after intercourse...EVERYTIME...although it helped, it hasn't cured the issue! This issue is really taking a negative tole on my fiance' as well. No doctor that I have ever seen has attempted to dig deeper into the problem. It seems i'm continously going to the Dr. to pee in a cup, if you know what I mean. A question as well, do you get yeast infections as well?