Urogynecology Community
ovaries removeal

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

ovaries removeal

I am 67 yrs of age and with a bladder prolapse and uterus prolase. The doctor wants me to have hysterectory along with my overies being removed. History of family: mother had uterin cancer and left breast removed. no other female cancer in family. Mother douche,"back in the days" with watered down chlorox and was also in accident which injured her left breast with no medical assistance afterward. there is no ovarian cancer in the family! But she is insisting I get the ovaries removed "so I won't worry about ovarian cancer.  Doctor also stated that once I have my bladder "tied up" that I will not be able ot EVER have sex again.  Please advise ASAP since surgery is next month.  Thanks you and God Bless
You can always go get another opinion. I have never heard that once a prolapse is repaired that sex is out of the question, so I would quite frankly go to another surgeon.
If you are past menopause, you are not using the ovaries as it is, so I personally would consider the debate like there is some small risk at leaving them in, but I am not sure about the benefit at post-menopause of leaving them.
There is no reason to be pushed into surgery - cancel and get another opinion with someone who is going to treat you better.
Hi Im going to offer some advice then Im going to transfer your question to our prolapse forum,,the CL is very knowledgeable on the subject....I can tell you I have been CL for the hysterectomy formu for years and without almost 100% of the time a normal healthy sex life is possible post hysterectomy. As is the ability to orgasm, its not terine contraction type, one can still have clitoral or G-spot orgasms though.

I would guess your bladder may be prolapsed from weight of enlarged prolapsed uterus laying on it, what ever the cause you will need to deal with it. Sher can answer if prolapse correction surgery effects sex life.

Family history is important Im glad your aware of and informing Dr of.

As for "debate" of leaving or removing ovaries, factor in family history and the fact that after a uterus/cervix is removed and pap test cannot be performed other then to determine vaginal cancer. That statistically ovarian cancer is not fond until stage 4. Stage 3 or 4 ovarian cancer has a low 5 year survial rate.

I had to choose to leave or remove my one "good" ovary I had them take it out,,,my instinct for myself was better safe then sorry,

good luck pm me with any hyster questions if you like...now Im passing you on to Sher for prolapse advice.

Cherie
"terine" should read "uterine" my U is sticking on key board.
I have a consultation with her the 1st of Oct.  The more I read and the danger of heart arracks and stroke being a danger after overies are removed scares the heck out of me.  I smoked for many years and that was bad enough.  Now for the "no sex..." After making her extraction of overies comment is when she told me "no more sex for the rest of your life", she said that she was tying my bladder tight and if I were to have sex it would be very painful for one and two, it would keep it from talling again and  I wouldn't want to have the surgery again.  Well NOOOOOOO! But it just doesn't seem to be a good decision for me to go forth with the removal of my overies.
Thanks for your comments and look forward to hearing from you.
Hell and thank you for your comment.   This is my 3rd OBGYN and if need be I will seek another dr.  I'm not sure if you can see the comments Imade to Cherie but please read if you can.  The other two .. that Dr was nore interested in his vacation andgave me to his assitant who inserted the wrong size peserie in me and 24 hours later had to make an emergency appointment with my family doc to take it out for severe pain.  The 2nd doctor was at a big university and he didn't want to take time to answer my question and wanted to wait to answer them just before surgery.  By the way that surgery would have been with robots and I don't think they have been used that much for me to feel comfortable with the surgert.  Anyway thats some back ground you might want to {ponder) on.
Thanks again
You can see all the comments - so can I.

The ovary question is up to you - but I had mine out in my early 40's - they can't test any more, so I could not take the risk.

The robot surgery is the latest and more surgeons are going that way - it is supposed to mean less pain, less blood loss and smaller incisions - as well the doctor is supposed to be able to see better so while it sound bizarre, it may not be a bad option - but it sounds like no one has time to explain anything to you.

Can you take a family member who can intervene on your behalf?
the DaVinci Robotic Assisted hysterectomy is the very best method possible. It is not a robot operating on you, its state of the art compter imagery using a robotic glove the dr inserts his hands into...via the enhanced imagery on the screen he can make mch smaller incisions( in fact there is no large incision , its 4 sm insicions for the rods to go in that distends the abdomen) there is less chance for error, better cauterisations, less healing time, and I personally had this method , have studied it extensivley , its considered safer infact than other methods,

If you have any other questions abot the DaVinci or any other hysterectomy questions, please feel more than welcomed to pm me.

also bio identical hormones are actually good for the heart and bones, nlike the older hormone replacement such as premarine.

C

C
sorry for delay, away from my desk all day. I'm just going to address the prolapse issues, that is my area and you've already gotten good feeds for other concerns. First up, see a urogynecologist for the POP, not an obgyn-a urogyn is the specialist for POP and they are well versed in all 5 types of POP. Very often women who have POP have more than one type. Women who have POP surgery by other types of physicians often have complications because these other physicians are not well versed in newer procedures that work better and if they find another type of POP when they go inside, they often just repair the initial type they knew about. You  don't want to go through any surgery twice, that is a waste of money and crazy to have to deal with the discomfort twice. The structural aspects of the pelvic cavity are extremely intricate so you want the best for POP surgery. Urogyns are also the most knowlegable about alternatives to surgery. It is common for women to have to get fitted a couple of times for a pessary but they could have tried a couple of different ones in you the first time you were fitted. I used a pessary for a short time prior to my surgery and on the 2nd pessary I could not even tell I had one in.

Yes you can have sex after POP surgery, in fact often women have much pain with POP and are able to return to it again after surgery because the pain is now gone. It may take a while for the sensation to get back to normal again if they have to cut through nerves during the procedure, but if you are having cystocele repair only, they may do laproscopic procedure and there won't be any cutting by the lower end of the vagina. So it's an absolute yes to sex. Any dr who tells you that sex is out after a bladder lift is a dr you want to RUN from. Do not let this dr touch you! The comment about tying the bladder up tight is scary too, my urogyn discussed with me how she wanted to make sure to not tie mine up too tight because of the pain it can cause. Again, a flag that this is not the dr for you.

As far as going overboard with how tight the bladder is tied up so you don't need to have the surgery again, here's my thoughts. I feel all women should do maintenance on the pc whether they have surgery or not-and I mean maintenance for life. Doing Kegels the right way increases sexual sensation as well as assists that pc muscle in doing it's job. A pc muscle is like any other muscle, if you don't use it you lose it.

I truly hope you seek advice from a urogyn, I feel you will get the guidance you need as well as  proper medical care. If it were me, I'd tell the other dr to take a hike!

If you need assistance finding a urogyn, send me a PM and I can help you, you can also call a local hospital and ask them if there are any urogyns on staff.

Good luck, I hope it all works out fine!
Sher
I want to thank all of you, not only for your comments but the courage you gave me.  I have cancelled my surgery and fired my doctor! I feel so much better now. I am making an appointment with a uro-obgyn who came with high credentials and will perform surgery with robotics. I now feel confident for the first time!  I am also thankful for finding this website and knowing that I got answeres I never dramed of..  
Sincerely
I am so happy your path has shifted!

Good luck, if you have any other questions either b/4 or after your procedure, give us a shout, we're all here to help any way we can!

Sher
Good for you ! I'm very happy your using a uro/gyn and I just love the term "fired my Dr." I tell people that all the time,,,a dr works for you hes basically your employee, heck ya if you don't like him/her fire them!

As Sher said if you have any questions Im here...Im  going to pm you some of my post hyster tips,,,they are things most Drs dont have time to tell and helpful/
Its me again....I have to be forthright in telling you the uro/gyn is the second doctor I had gone to and didn't go back because he wasn't able to explain the surgery at the time of my visit, I misunderstood when he said, I'll tell you before surgery. Well I thought I was in my last check-up  before surgery date was scheduled and didn't realize or wasnt told I would have another visit.  This is why I didn't go back. I guess sometimes they get busy and tend to forget the patient is very aprehensive to having surgery... Who knows!  I must say he was very thorugh excpet for the communication thingy!  I promise to keep you posted.
God Bless you all for being there.  
You'll be in our thoughts and prayers for smooth procedure and speedy recovery!
Sher