Urogynecology Community
partial hysterctomy and bladder repair...too tight with sling?

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

I had a partial hyserectomy and bladder repair for stress incontinence 2 weeks ago.  I came home with foley for 6 days and finally went on my own with lots of pain and only while sqwating on toilet.  I had a bad UTI and was put on cipro 4 days ago.  Most of burning is gone but I can only empty bladder while squating over toilet and bottom almost in air (sorry for graphic details).  I can go sitting but very little comes out.  Is this normal?  Is it too tight?  My OBGYN who did surgery is sending me for second opinion with urogynecology.  I have an appt soon.  What is going on?  I am worried that it is too tight and they have to put me under general again to fix it and I will have more problems.  Someone please walk me through what the possibilies are?
It is a bit worrisome that it is so difficult and it is possible that the sling was attached too tightly. Are you taking it easy at this point? There is considerable swelling in the pelvic cavity with these types of procedures and it is important to lay low during the initial heal curve. You should not be picking up anything  heavy (including children). If you have been pretty much laying around with no lifting, I'd be concerned about sling tightness. It's good you are seeing urogynecology. I feel ob/gyns should steer clear of these procedures unless they are fellowship trained.

A urogynecologist should be able to get your squared away, you are better addresssing this right away if it needs adjustment than waiting.

Sher
Saw the urogynocologist and he said it was in wrong place.  We scheduled surgery next day.  He put another type of sling in.  I left  without a catheter and peeing on my own.  Now I am just trying to heal.  I feel more bloated this time.  I hope this goes away soon.  You are right to have a specialist do it instead of OBGYN.
I'm so glad this was able to be addressed quickly! Swelling will go down in time, lay low-try to be inactive for the week. Icing helps with both swelling and pain.
Sher
how do you know if they put a sling in?
Contact the hospital and ask them to send you a copy of your surgical records (good idea to have it anyway) if you are uncomfortable asking your dr.

Sher
Guess what else happen......9 days after 2nd surgery, my abdomen was really bloated and started having problems urinating.  Went to doctor and he sent me to get CT scan at hospital ER(it was a Friday eve.)  Had huge hematoma in pelvic area from 2nd surgery. Stayed weekend in hospital while they decided drain instead of surgery.  Went home with drain for few days only half came out.  Doctor letting my body absorb the rest so I don't have another general surgery.  On antibiotics for few weeks.   This has been a nightmare and I have trouble trusting anyone.  Still have discharge but no infection.  I hope I will be ok soon.
Hemotoma does happen from time to time, so sorry to hear about this turn of events. Please lay low for a bit, try to keep activity to a minimum-no lifting at all! Try either ice of heating pad to increase comort level if meds don't help.(Ice is usually good right after surgery for swelling and after a week warm feels better.)

Sher