Urogynecology Community
pelvic muscles pain

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

pelvic muscles pain

What is the best treatment for pelvic floor muscle pain?  I have an appt. next week with a pelvic floor therapist.  what treatment should i expect?  I have been told by my Dr. that I am experiencing muscle tightness in several of my pelvic floor muscles.  One of the symptoms feels like I am sitting on a ball ,and I have low back pain around the sacrum.
The sensation you feel of sitting on a ball is one of the symptoms of POP (pelvic organ prolapse); when an organ or tissues shift down into the vaginal canal, it creates a bulge that resembles a ball coming out of your vagina. If you have a cystocele, the bladder falls down toward the vagina and creates a bulge in the front vaginal wall. Depending on the degree of prolapse, it may be only sticking out a little or sticking out a lot. The bulge may come and go as well; typically if you are lying down the prolapse will recede. There are many causes of pain with POP (it depends on what kind/kinds of POP you have); most common types of pain are in the vagina, rectum, abdomen, or back. While you are waiting to get in for that appt, you can use support to the area (support garments are in the women's underpants depts, they are similar to the old style girdles), use warm compresses when sitting down, or whatever non-rx pain meds work for your body. There are several treatments available for POP, some surgical, some non-surgical, once you see a urogynecologist (this is the specialist for POP), you will be advised about what the specific diagnosis is and what your treatment options are.  If you have additonal questions either prior to or after your appt, please send them.
Sher