Urogynecology Expert Forum
prolapse
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

prolapse

I have been diagnosed for several years with all the pelvic prolapsess: cystocele, rectocele, uterine prolapse and enterocele.And an inquinal hernia.  I am 62 and have worn a pessary for several years with no problems. It provides only partial support it is a
ring with mesh inside. My doctor does not wnat to try any other kind.

For the last 18 months I have miraculoulously and happily  become sexually active with my new husband. I keep the pessary in  during intercourse and have had no problems during  or after intercourse.. However the last two weeks I am experiencing what I think are the classic symptoms of the enterocele: fullness in rectum,  pressure and lower back pain that comes and goes. There is also a little burning locally at the  inquinal site.
Intercourse is not at all painful .The latter symptoms  do not come until another day .I  have good vaginal tissue (as of my last Gyn visit in Sept).

Questions: Could sex aggravate this condition? would taking the pessary out during intercourse be better for my prolapses ? I am not keen on surgery . Any suggestions for conservative treatment?