Urogynecology Expert Forum
rectocele/cystocele and fallen uterus

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

rectocele/cystocele and fallen uterus

Are the probIems I'm having due to pelvic prolapse? I started having problems when I had my daughter in 2000. I know I had a fallen uterus at that time but I'm not sure about the bladder and rectocele. I haven't had any trouble except for the few months after giving birth until just recently. I had my gallbladder removed in January and started developing problems a couple of weeks afterwards. I started having heaviness/pressure in my rectum with the sensation of being full. It is uncomfortable for me to sit straight down on my bottom. It feels better if I sit at kind of an angle. I have also developed a sort of pain/pressure behind my tailbone that feels almost tingly and numb; kind of like it's asleep. It I am now also having a slight stinging feeling in my bladder or maybe it's my vagina. I can't really tell. It also feels like my bladder isn't emptying all the way. I went to the gynecologist for my annual exam and she said I have a slight rectocele and cystocele. I do occasionally have a small bulge out of my vagina and I'm not sure if it is my bladder or rectum. Do these symptoms sound like they are all caused from prolapse? I'm really confused as to why I was having no symptoms at all and then right after my surgery I started having a lot of symptoms and am just miserable. I have been worrying that maybe I have colon cancer. My bowel movements are not consistent like they used to be, I now go either several times a day, once a day or not at all. Are any of you having symptoms that sound like mine?
You describe symptoms of pelvic pressure and heaviness, and the sense of a bulge. THese can sometimes go along with prolapse, but often not. Prolapse is when you can actually see or feel a large bulge (peach, orange, cantaloupe sized) bulging of the vaginal walls. It is hard to miss this when present. THe statement of a "slight cystocele or rectocele" probably means that this is not something that a qualified surgeon will attempt to fix because MANY women who deliver vaginally have some descent of the vagina and/or uterus. These are usually not symptomatic, in fact attempts at surgical repair will probably cause pain in the pelvic floor, worse than the symptom that is troubling you. If you are worried about prolapse, see a urogynecologist. If it is not significant prolapse, and the general gynecology workup is negative, then get evaluated by a qualified pelvic floor physical therapist. This may be a muscle trigger point problem causing symptoms similar to those of prolapse. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Dr. Hoyte
.
1 Comment
A related discussion, multiple prolapse surgery was started.