Urogynecology Expert Forum
sex and fallen bladder

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

sex and fallen bladder

My wife has a fallen bladder that is visible from outside her vagina at times.  She has recently been told that surgery and a pessary are not the only solutions.  She was told there may be a medication that can help.  I have two questions.  1-Is this true?  2-Is sex possible with this condition?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Yes, sex is possible, and will not hurt or worsen the prolapse. No, I do not know of a medication that will cure prolapse. Some people believe that kegel exercises can help with mild forms of prolapse. It is important to know that prolapse is usually not a life and death matter. It can be quite a nuisance if it is severe. Have your wife squat and strain down. If you can see the bulge passing through the labia when she is in the squatting, straining position, then it is probably enough to be a nuisance, and should be repaired if it is bothering her. If it is not passing through the labia, it is probably not severe enough to require treatment.

Dr. Hoyte
1 Comment
A related discussion, fallen bladder and pessary was started.