Urogynecology Community
stage 4 rectocele

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

stage 4 rectocele

My rectocele has been stage 4 for two years, and the external bulge is growing. I've seen a urologist, a gyn and a Mayo Clinic urogynologist. I put off surgery because I had a total knee joint replacement in July.

The urogyn proposes a vaginal no-mesh repair because of the problems associated with mesh (migration, rectal damage, etc.).

At age 68, I worry about complications with or without mesh.
Hi Sue,

I am glad that you are trying to stay on top of the prolapse situation, what all kinds of POP did the urogyn say you have? Is it a cystocele alone or are there other types of POP going on? I had 3 types of POP repaired and have a my urogyn used a lot of mesh in me because I am extremely active. She did use an older tried and true kinds of mesh pm me not one of the new types because of the complications some of the new ones have. I've had no problems with mine, surgery was done over a year and a half ago.

You are right to have concerns with either path, it is very important to get as much info on line as well as from your dr directly to help you make the decision that is best for you. No matter which way you go surgically, there will still be a chance of complications but I am happy you are seeing a urogyn for this procedure, that's the specialist for POP. It is important to realize that no matter what kind of POP you have, you need to continue to do maintenance after surgery for the best long term result. Often women have surgery and feel they are fixed and done and the pc muscle is like any other muscle-if you don't use it you lose it.

It is hard to comment further not knowing what kind of POP you have. If you could send in more detail I'll try to give you more info but I am in Germany right now so it may be delayed a bit getting to you.

Get as much info as you can Sue-ask the dr what the success rate will be for you 5 years out with either type of procedure.

Good luck no matter which way you and your dr decide to go!
Sher
So far as I know now, I have a grade 4 rectocele. However, there could be an enterocele hiding behind it. The urogyn may not know until he's doing the surgery.

Enjoy Germany Sherrie, I was there a year ago.
Hello Sherrie,

Thanks for your post and kind concern.
Hope Germany went well for you.

Hugs,
subeltsue
We were not aware of my enterocele until surgery, went into procedure anticipating rectocele and cystocele repair-turned out the enterocele was huge. No matter, she fixed it when in there.

Thanks for your sentiments Sue. Heading home tomorrow. Made some wonderful connections and spent some time enjoying countryside and cuisine!

Sher