Urogynecology Community
surgery with mesh

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

surgery with mesh

I am so worried about this mesh thing. I have had a hysterectomy  in 2009 and then a bladder repair the next few months and now I have a rectocele that has to be fixed, the doctor said mesh is the only way to hold it up, doc took uterus and cervix in the hysterectomy the first time and there was nothing there to hold it all up.   It is to be done laproscopic and I was happy about that. I am so worried the mesh may cause me pain in the future, I seem to see alot of posts like that. Has anyone had success with mesh? Feedback would be great! Thanks!
Is your Dr a Urogynecologist?  Did this same Dr do your hysterectomy?  
It seems from what you write that when you had your hysterectomy no support was put in to support the top of your vagina.  I have not had mesh so I cannot comment personally about this.  However I would recommend getting a second opinion from a Urogynecologist about all your prolapse concerns.  
Some women do say they have done well with mesh, however, it is important to make sure that your Urogyne is very exerienced at putting mesh in and has good technique.  How many of these operations does he do a week.... yes, a week.   What success rates do they have?
I wonder why your Dr didnt originally support the top of your vagina right from your first Hysterectomy operation.  Since you had this op, clearly you are having subsiquent prolapses.  
Consider your options clearly and ask questions.  Consider a second opinion as well and take your previous operation notes with you.  You can get a copy of these from your Dr and or hospital.

I wish you luck.  Come back to us and let us know how you get on.
Mesh can be used safely and effectively but it also can have devastating and lasting problems.  The best chances of having successful prolapse surgery with mesh is finding the most capable and experienced surgeon.  With your previous surgeries  I suggest you get an opinion from an experienced urogynecologist if you have not done so.  There is a lot info about mesh on the Internet, read as much as you can both pro and con.  Compile a list of concerns and questions and interview the doctor as if you are hiring him/her for a job, which you really are!  Gaining knowledge and taking control of your situation will give you the satisfaction that you have made the best decision you could.  Then you will be able to go forward with confidence on whatever surgery and doctor you choose with confidence.