Urogynecology Expert Forum
ureterolysis procedure
About This Forum:

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

ureterolysis procedure

I had a "bladder tack" over 20 years ago.  Subsequently, I could not void while completing sitting down.  I have to "hover" over the toilet and get into a certain position.  It has progressively worsened over the years.  I recently saw a urologist who told me the surgeon who performed the original surgery obviously tacked my urethra way too high causing the problem.  She suggests performing ureterolysis vaginally, hoping to correct the problem, however, does not feel certain it will work because it has been so long since the original surgery.  She says, however, if I don't do something, it will continue to get worse until I won't be able to urinate at all on my own and will have to use a catheter all the time.  I have attempted to research the procedure, however, am having a lot of difficulty.  How can I find out exactly how it is performed, how long the surgery takes, etc.?
1344197_tn?1392822771
Sorry to read of your problem.  The procedure you are describing is called Urethrolysis, not Ureterolysis.  This is a rather straightforward procedure that attempts to free up the urethra thereby allowing you to empty better.  The condition is called Obstructed Voiding and probably is related to your prior surgery, however, I would be concerned as to why this is getting worse over time.  I would suggest you seek a second opinion from a Urogynecologist in your area.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
1344197_tn?1392822771
J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Plano Urogynecology Associates
Plano, TX
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now