Urogynecology Community
urinary retention after rectocele surgery

WELCOME TO THE UROGYNECOLOGY COMMUNITY for WOMEN: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Female Incontinence and Pelvic Floor disorders such as, Cystocele, Drooping Bladder, Intercourse Pain, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Vaginal Relaxation and Vulvodynia.

I'm 4 weeks post rectocele surgery and actually doing quite well.   Having a problem with constipation is nothing different for me except I'm very careful not to strain.   As for my bladder that is another issue but I'm coping with it.  When I get up in the morning I can urinate okay but some days by the evening I have a hard time with retention.   Now I have always had overactive bladder and had bladder suspension 15 years ago.   I always thought it was tied up too tight.  Has anyone had this problem before.  It's been going on now since the surgery but not everyday.   I only spent one night in the hospital and was released the next morning.  That evening I had to go to the ER and had a urinary catheter put in but I didn't wear it home.  I guess the plumbing (lol) takes a while to get back to normal huh?  Please anyone that can help I would appreciate advice.

I know I get stressed when I think I might be getting constipated and especially when I can't urinate.  I go to the dr. tomorrow for my 4 week check-up so I will see what she says.  However, hearing from someone that has been through this helps me so much.  I will say it sure is nice to walk and not feel that bulge and I'm very happy I had the surgery.  They gave me pain killers to take home but I didn't have much pain and never took one - only tylenol.  Soreness yes to be expected.  I've always had constipation most of my life.  I'm probably just not giving it time.  I've had partial hysterectomy, bladder suspension (at the same time 15 years ago) and now rectocele surgery.  Whew!  I'm now 65 and would do it all again!  Guess patience is what it's called.
Hi, glad for the update! From what I can remember, it was a gynecologist that did the surgery. It's a bit of a flag that the initial sling was put in too tight, that can be a problem but I assume since that procedure was done 15 years ago, that you have adapted to it. Urine retention is a concern for sure, not just from the discomfort aspect, from infection aspect as well. This may be a matter of swelling since you seem to be able to urinate ok in the AM and it gets worse as the day goes on; as you are active it may be causing inflamation (inflammation) because you are not that removed from rectocele surgery (did she use mesh for this surgery too?). I would question the dr on this for sure. Did you mention the sling being too tight to her prior to the rectocele surgery or had you adapted to it to the point that you didn't think it was a concern?

You might try urinating after relaxing with a heating pad on abdomen for an hour or so, if swelling is the problem this might help.

On the constipation end, I know that song well!!! I've had IBS for more years than I care to mention and the interplay between IBS and POP is enough to make you crazy! What I do to try and keep myself regular is take 6 probiotic caps a day, (you can also eat Activia yogurt, cherry is pretty tasty!), eat fruit every day, I have a small amount of crushed pineapple every day (I've recently discovered this, it really works pretty welll!), lot of water, easy on the grain fiber, that can sometimes make things worse.

I am glad to hear you are happy you had the surgery done, I feel the same way-if I had to make the choice again, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Please check with your physician on the retention, that is the most important thing.  

Good luck, I hope things get level soon!
Sher
I need some good information.   My gynecologist released me after 6 weeks from the rectocele surgery.  I continue to have problems with urine retention.   It's not all the time but it seems that through the day while I'm active it gives me fits.   I feel a constant pressure and it does make me very nervous.  Who wouldn't?  Then when I try to go I only go a very small amount.   Then I have the burning.  Today I called the dr that did the surgery and got in.  They checked my urine and I do not have a bladder infection.  I told her it bothers me more through the day.  She did examine me and said everything was good which I think the rectocele problem is but said I do have a yeast infection so she gave me nystatin cream and 3 terconazole suppositories for the yeast.  As far as the urine retention she said maybe you need to take some valium through the day to take the edge off.  Well that won't solve the problem and I know it won't.  I take clonazepam at night to help me sleep and I don't want to take anything else.  I told her that and she backed away from the valium.

Do I need to see a urologist, urogynecolgist or what.  I know one dr. doesn't like to take over a problem once another doctor has supposedly diagnosed and says it's okay.  I'm on medicare and medicaid so need I say more..  Won't go there.   It is almost 8 weeks since the surgery.   Could I still be healing inside and since I'm up and around through the day could it still be swelling or whatever.  I'm not a big baby and I felt like she was treating me like a nervous little old lady.  Would I be there if it wasn't real.  I'm just as sick of her as she is probably of me.  Sorry to say that but it's the truth.   And the nurse was very hateful. I'm still very careful about lifting and don't overdue anything.   Just up and around in my apartment and occastionally going to the store.

Forgive me but I'm just frustrated and very concerned.  I do have to say I have always had an overactive bladder but it is worse now.  I did have bladder surgery 15 years ago but by another dr. I was going to take med for overactive bladder  but I was told it makes constipation worse and I sure don't need that.  What to do!   I even told her that and try to be very honest.  I think she is through with me now and I give her credit.  She did do an excellent job as the surgeon and she is a good doctor.  
I have an appointment with a very good urologist next week.  Dec. 14th   I'm hoping I can cope until then.   I'm so afriad he will recommend surgery.  Can't stand the thoughts of it but can't go on like this.  By the way the rectocle has not dropped down but I feel a bulge.  I'm taking stool softeners and drinking fiber and activia plus a laxative from the health food store.  (not everynight) I think I read on this site someone else experienced this.  I told my dr. about this and she said it is normal..........
I do think you should have a consult with a urogyn, since there is both an older cystocele repair and the recent rectocele repair, there is no way of knowing for sure which is giving you grief. Inflammation from recent surgery might be the problem but since you had problems with the cystocele repair back when you had that done, it might not take much to get it to flair up. A urogyn can access the entire pelvic floor, the urologist may not be exerienced with the rectocele repair path since it is not their area of expertise.

I have no doubt that your physician is a good dr, the issue here is the pelvic cavity is extremely intricate; that is the reason I always recommend a urogyn. The urogyns I connect with tell me they do repairs of POP surgeries not done properly by other physicians on a regular basis. Again this does not mean the other physicians are not good drs, POP surgeries are simply very intricate procedures and it typically takes a specialist to get it right. I don't think the urogyn will think twice about seeing you after you've had POP surgery by someone not a urogyn-one way to find out. I say go for it, it is crazy to continue to be uncomfortable at the 6 week point, by now things should be getting leveled off.

Let me know how things turn out.
Sher
Thanks for your reply.   I cannot drive in the city because of my nerves.  On top of it all someone hit my car and I'm driving a rental car.   It is just impossible for me to see a urogyn but I know you are absolutely right.  The closest one is about 40 miles away in all kinds of traffic and I could not do it.  I would have a wreck or panic and they are just impossible to see in a few days.  I have been online all day looking.
Guess I'm going in circles.  I saw this urologist after I had the bumb job 15 years ago.  If he had only been the one to do the surgery.   My nerves are pretty much shot as you can tell.  
I do appreciate your time.  You have been very kind and helpful.  I'm just so disappointed my dr.  Since I'm taking the med for yeast I don't have the constant burning so one hurdle is being taken care of.  I'm going to try to send you a note and tell you where I live.  Thanks again so much.  I'll try again tomorrow for the urogyn somehow.
I'm glad to hear that the anti-fungal is helping with the discomfort, at least you are getting some relief. I did get the PM, I will reply with more specific info to that note.

Sher
Your personal privacy settings are preventing me from replying to your PM, you will need to adjust your settings b/4 I can send you a PM.

:)
Sher