Urogynecology Expert Forum
vaginal burning sensation after sling

Questions in the Urogynecology forum are answered by Bruce Crawford, MD, J. Kyle Mathews, MD, and other medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include overactive bladders, bladder pain, fallen/drooping bladder, bowel urgency, bowel prolapse, cystitis, incontinence, pain with intercourse, rectal prolapse, surgery, urinary urgency, and uterine prolapse.

vaginal burning sensation after sling

I had SUI and underwent TOT sling procedure in 11/10. After several weeks of not being able to void post-op, the sling was loosened and ultimately cut. Since about a week before my last surgery in 12/28/10, I have been experiencing a severe "burning" sensation in my vagina.. Rated 8/10. My MD is at a loss (and so is a second opinion I went for). She wants to remove the sling altogether to see if this helps.

What is your opinion regarding this matter and if you agree wtih sling removal, should I seek out the care of an MD with lots of expertise in this?

Sorry to read of your problem.  This is an unusual complaint.  If I understand you correctly, these symptoms started after the surgery to cut one side of the sling.  If all that was done was cutting the sling, this would be an unusual complication.  Should your symptoms be significantly bothersome, I would agree with the removal of the sling to see if this helps.  I is important that your doctor have experience in removing slings in that removal may be more difficult than just cutting one side.
I assume your Dr. checked for vaginal infection like candida or other itchy problems.  You might also wonder if you are allergic to pork.  I understand the Lavendar sling that my Dr. used is made of porcine material, if yours is also from pork you could be having an allergic reaction.  I was surprised my Dr. did not ask me before if I was allergic to pork....
A related discussion, part tape removal? was started.