Urologic Cancer Community
atypical result of urine cytolgy test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

atypical result of urine cytolgy test

I had a urine cytology test done and the result was atypical. The reason the doctor did the test was because of microscopic blood in urine. I am not able to see the blood in urine with my eyes but it showed up in urine test. Dr. did a ultra sound and cat scan of my kidneys. All of this was ok. My question is what does the atypical result mean. If I did have some type of bladder cancer does atypical mean that it is early or could this be advanced. I have no other symptoms that I know of other that the small amount of blood in urine. I am being refered to a urologist. I am now very very nervous and scared.

This discussion is related to Bladder Cancer.
Sorry, to hear that you too are suffering with the same problem that I have, I've had the blood in my urine for years & my doctors kept telling me not to worry.  Well this past Nov 13 they did another test & I just today finally received the results from the test & I too have the atypical cells, I immediately scheduled my own appointment to see the urologist as she is only at the VA once a month.  So now unfortunately we wait to find out what our urologists have to say I suppose.  I'll lift you up in prayer that yours comes out better than mine, as my fear is more on the cancer side than just normal infection.  Since I've had the blood in my urine for over 7 yrs now & I have finally had the atypical cells show up & since I had a relative die of bladder cancer, amoung other members dying from other forms Of cancer I feel mine is more likely to be the cancereous side of things, but I did read that the atypical cells could be just from having an abnormal infection that will clear up on it's own.  So I'll pray that you find relief when you see your urologist.