Urologic Cancer Community
Blood in urine for 12 years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urologic cancers including: Bladder Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Colon Cancer, Penis Cancer, Renal Pelvis Cancer, Testicular Cancer, Ureter Cancer.

Blood in urine for 12 years

Hello, I am a 39 y/o male.  About 12 years ago I had a gross hematuria that lasted about 24 hrs.  I was referred to a Urologist who performed an IVP and a cystoscope.  The Urologist stated that at that time the only thing he could find were some stones in my left kidney.  However, since that time (12 yrs) I have showed micro hematuria nearly every time that I've had a urine test done as part of my yearly physical and for some UTI's that I've had.  Over the past few years I have occasional burning when urinating and also occasional severe stabbing pain from my left kidney while urinating.  I was recently diagnosed as a diabetic also.  My family MD wants me to go back and see the my original urologist I seen 12 years ago for a follow-up.  What could be making me have micro hematuria in my urine for this many years?  I do drink a 12 pack of soda a day.  I have had x-rays and CT scans done for other abdominal pain over the these past same years and nobody has never indicated seeing anything of note.  My family MD is concerned that it could be bladder or kidney cancer.  Is it possible that I have had a cancer growing for this many years?  I can't get in to see the Urologist for another 6 weeks.  Should I be real worried??
Thank you.....Scott