Enlarged prostate and possible prostate cancer
I just returned from an ultrasound and biopsy of my prostate. I've been having problems with urinary retention over the past 3 months requiring a catheter 4 times. I was scheduled for the Laser TURP yesterday but a PSA test done last week showed it went up to 14 from 9.8 just a month ago. The free PSA was 2.85%. Which is why my urologist decided to cancel the turp and do the biopsy. So I'm expecting the worse. Since I won't get the results for a week and be able to question my urologist, I just have some questions. The technican said my prostate is 240 grams which is quite large.
If they have to treat cancer with either radiation or surgery, which would be the best? I assume radiation will kill the cancer but what about the enlarged prostate? Will it shrink any? If not would the surgery be the best option?
If it's not cancer and they do the laser turp, is it possible the prostate will continue to grow and cause problems in the future?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.